Treorchy RFC | 1st Team 11 - 0 Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
29 December 2019 / Team News

Mount Lose Close Game

This was a game between 1st and 4th in Division 1 East Central, and although Treorchy won it 11-0, there was a fag paper between the sides as they cancelled each other out from start to finish, with most of the game played in the middle of the field, and each attack unable to open up the other’s defence.

Mount had the better territory-wise of the opening quarter, with centre Jamie Long and second row Jarrod Parfitt putting in a couple of runs which took play up to the Treorchy 22. From the first time Treorchy took play into the Mount half, a penalty award at a ruck 30 metres out was goaled by outside half Lloyd to put his side 3-0 up after 20 minutes.

Although the Mount forwards were winning possession from all facets of play, the Old Firm did not help themselves by not moving it quicker. A good scrum by the Mount forwards had the Treorchy eight under pressure on their own 22, scrum half Morgan Cartwright quickly through to pressure the scrum half and kick on over the try line, but he was beaten to the touchdown by the covering defence.

Treorchy took play to within 5 metres of the Mount line, but some excellent ripping by second row Jarrod Parfitt at an attempted catch and drive by the home pack saw him turn the ball over for scrum half Cartwright to clear.

From the lineout just outside the Old Firm’s 22, the only clear-cut chance of the game for both sides was created by the home backs as they finished off an attack with a try in the corner to make it 8-0 after 32 minutes.

Five minutes later, an excellent turnover at a ruck on the Mount 22 by flanker Mitchell Barnard led to a harsh penalty for entry to the ruck from the side by a Mount forward and outside half Lloyd kicked the 25 metre penalty to make it 11-0.

Early in the second half, full back Jarrod Cushion was put away on the halfway line and chipped on, but the home defence covered it. The game was stuck between the 10 metre lines for long periods with both defences on top, with neither the forwards or backs, when the ball was moved, able to break the defence.

Treorchy’s only attack of the second half saw full back Jacob Lloyd take play into the Mount 22, but he was tackled and the Mount pack were quickly in and got a penalty.

With 73 minutes on the clock, centre Jamie Long broke through in midfield and took play up to halfway but kick-passed to wing Morgan James when passing out of hand would probably have been the better option.

With two minutes to play, Mount were awarded their only penalty in the whole game within kickable range, on the Treorchy 22, and this was kicked to 5 metres out. The lineout had been good all game, but on this occasion it did not deliver, Treorchy cleared, and that was the end of a hard-fought, uneventful game, played between two committed sides.

This Saturday, 4 January, Barry visit Duffryn Pennar Park for a Division 1 East Central game and the Athletic welcome Dowlais 2nd XV to Caedrawnant for a Rhondda and East Glamorgan Championship game. Both games kick off at 2:30pm.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos