12 May 2024 / Club News

Youth Just Edged Out In Plate Final

A close game at the Arms Park ended with Beddau Youth beating Mountain Ash Youth 29-22. Mount scored the first try of the game after just 5 minutes when a 5 metre lineout catch resulted in a try near the corner. Beddau came more into the game and had the better of possession and territory, putting heavy pressure on Mount in the Young Firm's 22. Great defence by Mount kept them out, but Beddau got their first try of the game after 18 minutes when a peel round the front of a 5 metre lineout saw them drive over for a try wide out. A well-struck conversion put them in front 7-5.

A couple of high kicks by Beddau had the Mount defence in all sorts of trouble and from an offence near the Mount line, a penalty try was awarded which increased Beddau’s lead to 14-5 after 22 minutes.

The Young Firm responded in great style. A penalty from the kick off was kicked to within 5 metres of the Beddau line where a catch and a couple of drives were rewarded with a touchdown midway out. The conversion was put over to put Mount just two points behind at 14-12 down.

A penalty to touch by Mount allowed Beddau to run back at them and it needed some desperate defence by the Young Firm on the narrow side to stop a Beddau player getting away.

Crossing by Beddau in midfield gave Mount a penalty in the opening minutes of the second half, the ball being nicely struck between the posts to put the Young Firm 15-14 up.

The game was going back and fore, and Beddau got the next score with pressure from a 5 metre lineout which was finished off with a try to put them in front 19-15.

The Young Firm moved the ball across the backline and took play up to the Beddau 22. A penalty to Mount was kicked to just 7 metres out from the Beddau line where a catch and drive by the forwards saw the Young Firm awarded their third try of the game, with an excellent conversion from 10 metres in from the touchline making it 22-19 to Mount after 54 minutes play.

A yellow card to a Mount player for an offence on the Young Firm’s 22 metre line saw them reduced to 14 and Beddau awarded a penalty which ended in a try wide out to make it 26-22 to Beddau after an hour’s play.

Mount responded and took play up to the Beddau line where attempted drives over were stopped and Beddau eventually awarded a penalty.

With time almost up, a penalty to Beddau in the Mount 22 was converted to make it 29-22 and seal the match.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments