15 May 2024 / Club News

Mount Under 13s Cap Fine Season With Final Win

A 15 man display by Mountain Ash Under 13s at Cardiff Arms Park in the final of the Cardiff Rugby Under 13s Plate final ended with a win for Mount which capped a fine season. Mount played as a team throughout the game with good handling, passing and catch complimenting several good individual performances.

The Young Firm made a fast start to the game, scoring with less than a minute played. A dropped ball by Rumney was quickly picked up and passed to a back who beat one man and run into the corner to score and make it 5-0.

Rumney hit back with pressure near the Mount line and then their second row got away on the blindside from 35 metres out to run in for a fine try. An excellent conversion put them in front 7-5.

Mount responded with a penalty from 25 metres to go back in front, 8-7, after 12 minutes play, and scored again from the restart by Rumney. A strong run by a Mount forward took play to just outside the Rumney 22 and after the ball was passed out, an outside break saw a Mount player run in from 25 metres to finish off the attack with a good try to make it 13-7.

Rumney hit back with a very good 38 metre penalty to make it 13-10, and then strong defence from more Rumney pressure kept the Cardiff team out.

The next score after 30 minutes was one of the tries of the day. A lineout win by Mount on their own 10 metre line saw the ball moved out to the outside half who cut through the Rumney midfield with a break, then beat another man and rounded the full back to sprint in under the posts from 25 metres out for an outstanding individual try. The conversion made it 20-10 to Mount at half time.

With 9 minutes of the second half played, a counter attack was started by the Mount full back. The ball was moved into space, the outside half made another break and although tackled 5 metres out, he flipped the ball up for a Mount forward to take it on. The pack was in quickly and scored a try near the posts, with the conversion making it 27-10.

A scrum won against the head by the Mount forwards. The ball was passed into midfield where the Mount centre chipped over the top of the Rumney full back, regathered it and scored under the posts, the conversion taking the Mount lead up to 34-10.

Rumney scored their next try also using a chip over the top of the Mount defence, securing the ball and scoring. An excellent conversion made it 34-17.

The Young Firm had the final say of the match when the Number 8 and scrum half combined from a scrum for the scrum half to score the final try of the game with a 15 metre run-in, the well-struck conversion bringing an end to the final and the season and making the score 41-17.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments