Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team 46 - 14 Barry RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
13 November 2023 / Team News

Win Takes Mount To Top Of Table

Barry deserved credit for playing this game one man short for the whole 80 minutes due to a front row forward, who was a serving police officer, being called into work at short notice. The visitors have had an up and down season with a win away to Rhydyfelin and losing by a point away to Cambrian Welfare. Although playing a man short, they were well organised which made life difficult for the Old Firm, especially with passive scrums involved, and it wasn’t until the final quarter that Mount played their best rugby.

With just 4 minutes played, an acrobatic take at the back of a lineout in the Barry 22 by flanker Dai Richards was moved wide to wing Morgan James who was tackled 5 metres out. Second row Steffan Calderbank took quickly recycled ball to drive over and score the first try of the day. Outside half Jayden Pugh judged the conversion from close to the touchline perfectly to make it 7-0. The writing looked on the wall for Barry, but it did not come to fruition as they dug in and played in a positive fashion. Mount did not help themselves with little errors here and there plus too many infringements which slowed the pace of the game.

Barry got on the scoresheet with a 37 metre penalty by outside half Einan Scott. Then a strong run down the touchline by the visitors was stopped on halfway with a tackle by full back Liam Jones.

The Old Firm went further in front when No.8 Jordan Burke picked up quickly from a scrum 10 metres out and run strongly to score near the posts. Pugh converted to make it 14-3 after 21 minutes and then kicked a 20 metre penalty to increase it to 17-3. With the half coming to an end, Mount flanker Daniel Phillips was held up over the Barry line.

The visitors turned the game on its head in the first 10 minutes of the second half as they caught the Old Firm napping with a driving lineout which made 20 metres and was finished off with a try by prop Alyn Evans and then two penalties by outside half Scott reduced the Mount lead to 17-14.

For the first time in the second half, Mount put half a dozen phases together to take play into the Barry 22 where a penalty was kicked for a 5 metre lineout. A catch and drive saw No.8 Jordan Burke score his second try of the game which Pugh converted to make it 24-14. A nicely slotted penalty by Pugh from 35 metres made it 27-14.

A penalty by Pugh gave the Old Firm a lineout in the Barry 22 where a take and another strong run by Burke set up a ruck where the ball was moved wide quickly to centre Jarrod Cushion who drew the last defender and passed to hooker Kieran Coomer who dived over in the corner for a bonus point try. Pugh converted with another well-judged kick from wide out to make it 34-14 after 70 minutes.

Quick following-up by Mount trapped a Barry player behind their own try line. Another attack saw wing Morgan James join the line and score wide out, Pugh again converting to take his personal contribution to 16 points.

The Old Firm left the best till last with an attack from halfway started by flankers Ewan Rees and Dai Richards who put hooker Coomer racing away down the touchline into the Barry 22. Recycled ball was moved across the field to Pugh who fired out a long pass to centres Steve Brittain and Cushion who put full back Iestyn Robins over in the corner to finish off an excellent attack to make it 46-14.

The win took Mount to the top of the Division 1 East Central table, 3 points above Porth, who the Old Firm are away to this Saturday, 18 November. The game is a big one. It is an “8 pointer” and a Silver Ball game. The Old Firm will have to be up for the challenge.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos