Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team 16 - 0 Cambrian Welfare RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
08 January 2023 / Team News

Hall Converts Pressure Into Points

Well done to the Old Firm on getting a good win after little rugby over the last two months.

Mount played their first game for five weeks and their first home game for eight when Cambrian Welfare visited, and they were made to work hard by the visitors in rainy conditions at Duffryn Pennar Park. The Mount pack won plenty of ball, and when called upon, the Old Firm’s defence was once again well organised and committed. Fast, open play was hindered as the pitch was soft underfoot but in good condition considering the amount of rain that had fallen in the days prior to the game.

Mount had early pressure in the Cambrian 22 but little knock-ons and crooked throws into the lineout coughed up possession. A scuffle after 10 minutes turned into a confrontation between a number of players with the outcome being a yellow card shown to a player from each side.

A lineout taken by flanker David Richards for Mount from a Cambrian throw-in on the Mount 22 saw a long pass fired out into midfield intercepted. After defending well and winning the ball back, a kick on up to halfway by Mount was secured by Cambrian and quickly moved to a player in plenty of space which set another attack in motion. Good support play and interpassing took play to close to the Mount line, but good covering from the Mount defence stopped the visitors 5 metres out. Even though there was further pressure by Cambrian 10 metres out they were met by a determined defence which stopped them in their tracks.

From a Mount attack which saw the ball moved wide, full back Jarrod Cushion put in a delicate diagonal kick on the Cambrian 22 which was just too far for wing Iestyn Robins.

With just over half hour gone, a penalty to the Old Firm 20 metres out in the Cambrian 22 was converted from midway out by outside half Callum Hall to make it 3-0, and that was the score at half time.

A long kick up to the Cambrian 22 by outside half Hall early in the second half was knocked on by a Cambrian player who took his eye of the ball and fumbled it picking up.

From a couple of drives by the Mount pack, the ball was passed out to Hall who jinked back inside and passed to a forward who made ground and linked with No.8 Matthew Rees who drove and took a couple of tacklers over with him from 10 metres out. Hall converted to make it 10-0 after 45 minutes.

Flanker Dai Richards was quickly through on loose Cambrian ball from a lineout on halfway, setting prop James Cowdry away. Quick ruck ball by the Mount pack was moved across the backline with full back Cushion joining the line but just 10 metres out the ball was knocked on. A strong scrum by Mount won a penalty, outside half Hall converting it nicely from midway out to take the Old Firm’s lead up to 13-0 after 58 minutes.

Ever competitive Scrum half Ross Davies, who set a great example in defence with his tackling, broke through a gap in the Cambrian defence from a lineout but with the defence sparse, he opted to kick on rather than keep the ball in hand.

Cambrian had plenty of resolve with their forwards and backs competing to the end. A dangerous looking break by their full back was stopped on the Mount 10 metre line by a superb tackle by centre Alex Hughes.

With time almost up, the Mount forwards walked the Cambrian pack back at a scrum, the referee awarding a penalty, and Hall converting another well-judged kick right through the middle of the posts from 35 metres out to make it 16-0 and confirm victory for the Old Firm.

The win consolidated Mount’s position in 3rd place in the Division 1 East Central table, although they are now equal on 29 points with Rumney who have a game in hand. St Peter's are top on 33.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos