Ynysybwl RFC | 2nd Team 20 - 31 Mountain Ash RFC | Mountain Ash Athletic

Match Report
16 May 2022 / Team News

2nds Finish Season With Cup Final Win

Mount got off to a perfect start after just 2 minutes of this game with a drive up to the ‘bwl line where backrow forward Owen Jenkins drove over near the posts for a try, outside half Declan Conway converting to make it 7-0.

The ‘bwl put together a multi-phase attack which took play into the Mount 22 where they got a penalty and kicked it from 15 metres out in front of the posts to make it 7-3 after 13 minutes.

A lineout take by second row Jacob Donneky and a break by scrum half Ethan Davies saw wing Nathan Treharne tackled just short. A couple of drives by the forwards took play over the ‘bwl line where the touchjudge and the referee consulted and confirmed a try had been scored. Outside half Conway converted to make it 14-3 after half hour.

In first half injury time, a 25 metre penalty by Conway gave Mount a 17-3 lead at half time.

Ynysybwl started the second half with more intent. Mount backrow forward Owen Jenkins was yellow carded after 2 minutes. A break in midfield by the ‘bwl was stopped by the Mount defence but the ‘bwl forwards were quickly in to drive over for a try, with a well struck conversion making it “game-on” at 17-10 early in the second half.

Another yellow card to Mount and a 25 metre penalty converted by Ynysybwl made it 17-13.

The Old Firm composed themselves and took play up into the ‘bwl 22 where they took the ball through several phases for centre Steve Brittain to get over for Mount’s third try of the night, Conway converting to make it 24-13 after 50 minutes.

Strong defence by Mount held the ‘bwl up from scoring a try, but a third yellow card set them back once again.

A missed kick to touch from the Mount 22 was caught by the strong running Ynysybwl full back, who run strongly down the touchline and scored a good try in the corner. The conversion was well converted from the corner to make it 24-20 after 68 minutes.

Mount took play back up to the ‘bwl line where they were held up over the line. Another attack was started from the drop-out, full back Iestyn Robins making a break. From a well-directed grubber kick, Mount got a lineout 15 metres out. After winning the lineout, a controlled drive saw hooker Jordan Howe touch down for his side’s 4th try of the game, outside half Conway converting with a superb kick to make it 31-20 after 73 minutes, which was how it stayed until time was called.

It was left to the season’s captain, Jonathan Lock, and captain for the night, Chris Edmunds, surrounded by the Mount team, to lift the Mel Davies Cup and bring the season to a successful end. After half a dozen finals over his 11 years as 2nd XV captain, Jonathan Lock was at last a winner – well done Jon.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos