Rumney RFC | Youth Team 8 - 19 Mountain Ash RFC | Youth Team

Match Report
05 March 2019 / Team News

Young Firm Win Despite Injuries

Mount Youth travelled to Rumney for this Blues Premiership Trophy game knowing they have never won there since entering the Blues A division.

Missing their talisman Mitch Barnard and outstanding flanker Ethan James, they knew they would be under the cosh. To make matters worse, hooker Keiran Coomer broke his metatarsal whilst warming up. Not the best preparation. Best wishes to Scoomers, get well soon butty.

The game kicked off and Mount soon got on top but wrong options and mistakes kept the score at 0-0. Eventually No.8 Ryan Jenkins broke of the back of the scrum and showed incredible strength to break 4 or 5 tackles to score in corner and make it 5-0 to the Young Firm. Rumney had a penalty off the restart which they kicked to make it 5-3.

More injuries followed for Mount with Connor Tedstone sustaining a bad cut to the head and he had to leave the field. Mount were now without four first team forwards. Rumney then had a series of penalties and scored in corner to put them in an 8-5 lead at half time.

In the second half Mount seemed to think they were in a sevens tournament, running everything from everywhere but getting nowhere. With the wind and slope in their favour, they needed to take advantage – and they did.

Forwards Owen and Ryan Jenkins started making big yards, and scrum half Morgan Cartwright started putting in big raking kicks, and Mount started to take control. Some lovely forward play took the Young Firm into Rumney’s half. The ball was moved into midfield where centre Jarrod Cushion hit a lovely angle and outpaced the defence to score out wide. Cam Samuels struck a lovely conversion to make it 12-8.

Mount continued to dominate but kept getting turned over and Rumney kicked smartly up to the Mount 22. A sliced clearance kick by scrum half Cartwright saw the ball bounce between the Rumney centre and fullback, and Cushion, quickly up, hoofed ahead. He and wing Rhys “Potchy” Williams chased hard but Rumney’s fullback was favourite to gather. He made a mess of it though, and “Potchy” dived on the ball to score and secure Mount’s second consecutive win in the competition. Cam Samuels converted to finalise the scoring at 19-8.

With so many injuries, it was a brilliant win for the Young Firm, although it was a very scrappy game. Hopefully, the Mount team learned that there’s a time to play rugby and a time to kick. Special mention for Ben Parfitt, Darren Howe, second row Mason Jones and Dylan Davies who were out on their feet at the end. Ben made yards and yards for the second week running. There were also great performances from the back row of Ryan and Owen Jenkins and Ewan Rees, which is turning into one hell of a unit. Owain Reddick and Usman Zaheer tackled their hearts out when they came on and are improving with every game.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos