Llanharan RFC | 1st Team 15 - 14 Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
15 October 2017 / Team News

Valiant Effort by Mount in Defeat

Although playing for the last ten minutes of the first half with between 12 and 14 players because of a man sent off and two yellow cards, and all of the second half with 14, the Old Firm were still bitterly disappointed to lose this away game at Llanharan, having had the better of the game for the most part. The referee obviously played a big part in the game and made a number of decisions mostly in favour of the home team, which was enough for the Dairymen to hang on and get the win.

Mount did not get off to the best of starts and after two midfield breaks by Llanharan, a scissors near the touchline saw left wing Chris Poole score the first try of the afternoon, well converted from midway out to give Llanharan a 7-0 lead after just 5 minutes play. The Old Firm started to get into the game and were awarded a penalty near the Llanharan 10 metre line which was just missed. Mount continued the pressure in the home 22, prop James Cowdry putting in a couple of strong drives. An interception by the home team from a rushed pass 5 metres out saw a breakout and a kick on, but excellent covering by wing Gareth Williams saw the ball secured and the danger cleared. The game was cut and thrust, with plenty of attacking play. Williams was once again in the play with a kick on which the home defence failed to deal with and which almost led to try but the pick-up was knocked on. The Old Firm didn’t have long to wait for a try as centre Kieron Davies was first to react to a loose ball from the resulting 5 metre scrum and touch down, full back Jack Roberts converting to level the score at 7-7 after 20 minutes. Another Mount attack followed, centre Alex Hughes making a break in midfield to take play up to the home 22 where a home forward was yellow carded for stopping release. The resulting penalty was kicked to the corner but an untidy lineout by Mount followed by a knock on 5 metres out allowed the home side to clear. After a home player ran head first into a ruck, a grapple on the floor led to a Mount player being yellow carded. And then minutes later, with the niggle increasing, an exchange of punches between a Llanharan player and a Mount forward saw both packs get involved which referee Powell dealt with by sending a Mount forward off and yellow carding another, with Llanharan escaping any sanction despite their part in the altercation. With three men off the field at the same time, the Old Firm were down to 12 players after 35 minutes but were coping adequately. Right on half time, with the home team back up to 15 players, a turnover from a Mount driving maul was kicked across field where the Llanharan right wing, who was judged to be onside, latched on to the ball and passed inside for a try which made it 12-7 at half time.

Undeterred, the Old Firm started the second half with renewed determination and took the game to the home side. A ruck in the Llanharan half saw the ball moved wide where prop Cowdry gave a nice pass to centre Alex Hughes who made a 25 metre dash and was tackled on the line. After several drives from the 5 metre scrum, prop Tom Harper eventually got the touchdown, which full back Jack Roberts converted with a good strike from wide out, to put Mount in front 14-12 after 45 minutes play. After taking the restart, the Old Firm moved the ball into midfield where over eagerness at a ruck led to a Llanharan penalty which was converted from 30 metres out to give the home side a 15-14 lead. A quick penalty by scrum half Ross Davies and a drive on by prop Tom Harper took play up to the home line where the ball was moved wide, centre Kieron Davies being stopped just metres out by some desperate defending. Strong drives by replacement Number 8 Jarrod Morgan, props Cowdry and Harper, ably supported by the rest of the Mount pack saw a number of attacks stopped by desperate defence as Llanharan lived on the offside line. Another barnstorming run by Number 8 Jarrod Morgan supported by second row Jarrod Parfitt almost saw Parfitt break through down the touchline. With Llanharan hanging on, their cause was helped with two big decisions, each from a Mount attacking scrum, with the home side being awarded penalties for Mount players not being the required distance from the scrum. It was enough for the home side to clear the ball and run the clock down to win the game, leaving Mount reflecting on a game that got away.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos