Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team 17 - 13 Abercwmboi RFC | 1st Team
Julian Jarvis
1 Try
Shaun Davies
1 Conversion
2 Penalty

Match Report
18 October 2021 / Team News

Hard-Fought Win Seals Division

This game was a typical local derby, hard-fought and competitive, with few frills. After an even start to the game, Abercwmboi were the first on the scoresheet with a try in the corner by left wing Mason Williams after pressure in the Mount 22. Centre Paul Edwards converted with a good kick from the touchline to make it 7-0 after 14 minutes play.

The Old Firm were awarded a penalty from the restart, outside half Callum Hall kicking a 35 metre penalty to reduce ‘boi’s lead to 7-3.

Some of Mount’s passing was lacking accuracy, their play had little tempo, and on a few occasions, they didn’t make full use of the space available on the outside.

An Abercwmboi forward was yellow carded after 25 minutes for a technical offence and outside half Hall had no problem slotting over the 30 metre penalty to make it 7-6 and bring Mount back to within a point of ‘boi.

A lineout take by second row Adam Parry was moved wide, centre Jamie Long bursting through but his pass was not to hand and a scoring chance missed.

With 5 minutes to half time, busy flanker David Richards nearly got away from a maul in the ‘boi half. The ball was fed out to centre Alex Hughes who shrugged off one tackle and made ground into the ‘boi 22 to 10 metres out. Prop James Cowdry took the ball on to a metre out, but the ‘boi defence held.

As half time approached, full back Jarrod Cushion chipped over the ‘boi defence into space and followed up quickly but he could not regather the bouncing ball with the try line just 10 metres away. Outside half Hall slotted over a 15 metre penalty to put Mount in front, 9-7, at half time.

After the ball was spilled by Abercwmboi near the Mount 22 early in the second half, wing Rhys Davies kicked long and led a four man Mount chase for the ball. Boi centre Dafydd Lockyer gathered the ball a couple of metres out from the ‘boi line but the ball was turned over by Mount and moved to flanker Jordan Burke, who twisted out of one tackle and took a couple of defenders over with him as he touched down for Mount’s first try of the day. Hall’s conversion from near the touchline was close, but just wide. The try put Mount 14-7 up.

The Old Firm’s play lacked direction and tempo, which did not help their cause. Both ‘boi centre Edwards and Mount outside half Callum Hall exchanged penalties to take the score to 17-10 to Mount after an hour’s play. Boi got to within 4 points of Mount with another penalty from Edwards to make it 17-13 after 66 minutes.

From an overthrow by ’boi at a lineout on the Mount 22, No.8 Daniel Phillips caught the ball and went on a tremendous 50 metre run up to the Abercwmboi 22 where he was eventually brought down. A well-place penalty by Hall took play to 10 metres out, but frustratingly, the throw was not straight.

With the game in injury time, ‘boi worked an overlap in the Mount 22 which gave them a chance of scoring, but an inside pass was dropped, which was the last chance of an arm-wrestle of a game, which Mount did well to come out on top of after trailing by 7 points early on.

The win confirmed Mount as the winners of Division C1 of the WRU National Plate competition even though they still have two games left to play. The first of these is this Saturday, 23 October, when Treharris visit Duffryn Pennar Park, kick off 2:30pm. The Old Firm’s last Plate game in the division will be away to Abercwmboi on Friday 29 October, kick off 7:15pm.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos