Treharris RFC | 1st Team 20 - 22 Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team
Ross Jones
Conversion 2
Penalty 2
Steven Parry
Try 1
Andrew Llewellyn
Try 1

Match Report
26 September 2021 / Team News

Mount Grind Out Win In Treharris

Treharris gave the Old Firm their toughest game so far in the WRU Plate.

Mount did not help themselves during the first 15 minutes of the game with some untidy lineout play and conceding cheap penalties. From the first time the Old Firm got some continuity in their play, they were awarded a penalty 15 metres out from the home line, which outside half Callum Hall slotted over to make it 3-0. Treharris’ ball retention in open play was good throughout the game. A well-struck 40 metre penalty five minutes later levelled the score at 3-3.

Mount were struggling to get any continuity into their play and up the tempo. Treharris for their part, employed a physical approach, usually running straight, with their forwards in the forefront of their attack. A home forward received a yellow card for use of the shoulder in the 27th minute. After 32 minutes, Mount got their first try of the day when a lineout take 15 metres out was driven on, No.8 Jordan Burke peeling off 5 metres out and taking a couple of tacklers over the line with him when touching down. Hall converted to make it 10-3.

Flanker Kieron Davies was yellow carded for Mount for interfering with the ball, and on times, the Old Firm forwards were ball watching as Treharris disrupted Mount ball at a couple of rucks. A 5 minute spell of pressure in the Mount half leading into half time saw a 30 metre penalty awarded to the home team, which was converted to reduce the Old Firm’s lead to 10-6 at the turnround.

Treharris caught the Mount defence knapping at the very start of the second half as a forward took the ball in midfield and run through it, offloading to a teammate who scored near the posts. The conversion put the home team in front 13-10 after 42 minutes.

The set back saw the Old Firm put together their longest passage of play in the game and an excellent grubber kick from Hall took play to 5 metres out. A lineout take was finished off by scrum half Morgan Cartwright who touched down from close in, outside half Hall converting to put Mount back in front 17-13 after 46 minutes.

In the 54th minute, the lead changed hands again. After Treharris had taken play up to the Mount 22, a blatant knock on in open play was not seen by the referee who let play continue and led to a home forward scoring near the posts despite a desperate tackle by Mount second row Daniel Phillips. The conversion sailed over to put Treharris back in front, 20-17.

After a passage of play in the Treharris half, the referee issued a second yellow card to a Treharris forward and sent him off after 58 minutes.

A Mount attack in the home 22 saw Mount centre Jarrod Cushion go on an arcing run but he was just forced out near the corner. The pressure was kept on Treharris, and from a penalty 5 metres out, scrum half Cartwright touched down for his second try of the match near the corner to put the Old Firm 22-20 in front.

A couple of strong scrums by replacement props Callum Williams and Mark Tyler took a couple of scrums against the head in the final 10 minutes. And although taking play deep into the Treharris 22 looking for a bonus point 4th try, and then giving away a couple of penalties which gave the hosts a glimmer of hope as play went back up to halfway, time was called to leave the Old Firm narrow victors which keeps them top of the table with 4 wins from 4 games played.

This Saturday, 2 October, there is a change to the arranged fixture. After Dowlais and Bridgend Athletic dropped out due to playing League games, Tondu will visit Duffryn Pennar Park for a 1st XV friendly, kick is 2:30pm.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos