Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team 40 - 19 Ynysybwl RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
19 January 2020 / Team News

Six Tries For Mount

Well done to captain Matthew Rees and the Mount team on putting in an 80 minute performance in this Division 1 East Central local derby. From the off at Duffryn Pennar Park, on a fine, sunny day, Mount had an appetite for the task in hand and got off to a perfect start after just 2 minutes when an up-and-under out of the Mount 22 by outside half Jamie Long saw flanker David Richards challenge for the catch and come out on top, breaking away and passing inside to Long who run 35 metres to score under the posts, wing Morgan James converting to put the Old Firm 7-0 up.

The pressure continued on the ‘bwl, some nice interpassing and phase play taking play to 5 metres out. Scrum half Corey Roberts chipped over the ‘bwl defence to take play into the visitors’ 22 to keep Mount going forward. Near halfway, after just 10 minutes, the ball was moved from a ruck on halfway to full back Jarrod Cushion who sped through a gap and had only the full back to beat and men either side, but indecision by him saw a pass behind his back go to ground and a golden opportunity missed.

After 18 minutes, Ynysybwl put together their first real attack of the game from a lineout in the Mount half. A half break from the space found on the blindside of a ruck, a pass inside and a strong run from 15 metres out by a supporting player resulted in a well-taken try under the posts which was converted to make it 7-7.

Within a minute, Mount were back in front after the restart was won and second row Jarrod Parfitt drove into the ‘bwl 22 from where quick ruck ball was moved across the backline, with good handling, to centre Steve Brittain who scored in the corner from 15 metres out to make it 12-7.

Another attack by Mount saw centre Brittain – who had his best game for Mount – again in the action, securing loose ball in the ‘bwl 22 from which wing Rhys Davies came within a metre of scoring after a couple of passes.

This was a local derby, and the ‘bwl were still very much in the game. After 33 minutes, a move on halfway saw the visitors’ flanker break through with a strong run but a good tackle by wing Davies stopped him and allowed the Mount defence to regroup.

With 5 minutes to go in this all-action game, the Mount forwards delivered ruck ball on their own 10 metre line. Scrum half Roberts saw a chance on the blindside and fed wing Rhys Davies who raced away down the touchline and with only the full back to beat gave a perfect pass to ever-present flanker David Richards for him to run in unopposed from nearly 40 metres for a try under the posts, converted by James, which took the Mount lead up to 19-7.

As half time approached, the Old Firm were still attacking. A delicate chip through by outside half Long on the Mount 22, a run by full back Cushion, and a strong run by centre Jordan Burke – who had a promising game – brought an encouraging half for the Old Firm to an end.

Mount continued on the attack from the restart and scored after just a minute. After play was taken into the ‘bwl 22, the ball was moved to the touchline where an overlap saw full back Jarrod Cushion run in from 10 metres out to score the bonus point try, wing Morgan James striking the ball well to convert from wide out to make it 26-7.

Some sloppy play by the Old Firm at the restart saw the ‘bwl awarded two penalties which they used to take play up to the Mount line where they eventually broke through to score near the posts and convert to get back into the game at 26-14 down after 52 minutes.

One thing about the Mount performance was their desire over the 80 minutes to keep up the intensity and put pressure on the visitors. The Old Firm went back on the attack, taking play up once again up to the ‘bwl 22 where a long pass by second row Parfitt put wing James away down the touchline where he was tackled into touch near the corner.

Strong defending by the ‘bwl across the field kept Mount out. A clearance kick up to halfway was run back with some nice interpassing nearly releasing full back Cushion. Wing Morgan James was put away up the touchline and chipped on after being closed down 10 metres out, the ‘bwl having to concede a 5 metre lineout.

A take by captain Matthew Rees followed by a drive by a Mount forward was followed up by hooker Jack James who picked up and drove over for the Old Firm’s fifth try of the day, converted by James to make it 33-14 after 62 minutes.

With 10 minutes to go, the Mount pack took the ball through a number of phases into the visitors’ 22 where a dummy by Cushion in midfield 15 metres out saw the full back go over under the posts for the Old Firm’s sixth try, James kicking his fifth conversion to make it 40-14.

Although behind, the ‘bwl were not finished. A nice back move saw their centre break through on halfway which full back Cushion stopped with a good tackle. After taking play up to the Mount line and coming up against some determined Mount defence, the visitors eventually touched down wide out to make it 40-19.

With almost the last play of an entertaining game, wing Rhys Davies – who caught the high ball well all game and is showing the form he did as a Youth player, running strongly – hacked on a loose ball in the ‘bwl half, and covering the ground quickly, was just beaten to the touch down by a ‘bwl defender. It brought to an end a well-deserved bonus point win for Mount which takes them up to 4th in the Division 1 East Central table.


The Old Firm showed a desire throughout, playing attacking rugby with the catching and passing good.

Outside half Jamie Long was named as Mount’s Man of the Match, although this could have gone to several others. Steve Brittain in the centre had his best game of the season, Jordan Burke gave a promising performance, putting in several strong runs, and will improve when he settles in. Full back Jarrod Cushion and wings Morgan James and Rhys Davies have pace on the wings and give Mount options in attack, and if the team play as a unit, they will challenge all opposition.

Scrum half Corey Roberts put in several well-placed chips but needs to practice his passing off his weaker side, perhaps even mastering the dive pass to get the ball out quickly and accurately to Jamie Long at outside half. Long had a promising game and asked questions of the ‘bwl midfield, but he also needs to practice his punting to clear the ball from the Mount 22 when the situation demands it.

The Mount forwards were hungry throughout. The scrum and lineout went well, but there’s always room for a stronger scrum to pressurise the opposition and earn penalties. Jarrod Parfitt did a sterling job at prop, Dai Richards was out and about as a flanker should be, and Kriss Sanders was his usual hard-working self. Hooker Jack James threw in well and made some strong runs to gain ground. Captain Matthew Rees, prop Tom Harper, second rows Adam Parry and Mitchell Barnard were hard-working all afternoon. The players that came on – Jonathan Lewis, Daniel Phillips, Ethan Conway, Lee Butts and Jordan Coxley all contributed, which made it a good overall effort from the Old Firm.

The Mount team need not be complacent though because they know that several other try-scoring opportunities were not taken when they should have been. With Division 1 East Central the most competitive of divisions, the Old Firm need to repeat this performance in their remaining league games to stay in the top half of the table.

Next Saturday, 25 January, Rhiwbina are the opposition in Cardiff. They sit in 11th place at the moment, having lost several close games, including the one at Duffryn Pennar Park, 22-20, earlier this season. They are 11 points behind Mount but have 3 games in hand. The Old Firm has cannot afford to underestimate the Cardiff team which has shown it is capable and is desperate for points to get out of the relegation zone. Kick off is 2:30pm.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos