Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team 22 - 20 Rhiwbina RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
20 October 2019 / Team News

It's Never Over Till It's Over Old Firm Style

No one would have bet on this result when Rhiwbina scored a try against the run of play to go into a 20-8 lead with just 10 minutes remaining. The Mount team had other ideas, though, and ended up winning 22-20 in dramatic finish with wing Morgan James’ conversion from midway out deciding the game in the Old Firm’s favour.

Once again, Mount made a slow start to a game and were 7-0 down within 2 minutes when the ball was moved into midfield and an inside pass was good enough to undo the Mount defence far too easily for flanker Morgan Kneath to take it and run in unopposed from 15 metres out. Outside half Liam Herdman converted to make it 7-0.

The Old Firm’s first sustained attack saw a penalty 15 metres out kicked to the corner. After both sides turned the ball over, Mount moved it into midfield and gave it to flanker Jordan Burke who took it at pace on an angled run to score an unconverted try wide out and make it 7-5 after 14 minutes.

A dropped pass in midfield was latched onto quickly by the visitors and a pass put second row Bowden away. Although he was tackled on the Mount 22, the ball was recycled quickly and after a couple of rucks, centre Josh Moscardini was worked in at the corner to take his side’s lead back up to a seven point advantage at 12-5 after 19 minutes.

A high tackle in midfield by the Old Firm gave Rhiwbina a 35 metre penalty which outside half Herdman converted to extend the lead to 15-5 after 27 minutes.

A promising Mount attack took play to 15 metres out but inaccurate play again allowed the visitors off the hook and they kicked up to the Mount 22 where a clearance kick was sliced into midfield. With the Mount defence in disarray, a poor pass by the catcher to a man in acres of space let the Old Firm defence snuff out the danger.

Further problems arose for Mount when replacement back Alex Hughes was yellow carded for a tackle, and from the penalty award, a crossfield kick saw the Mount defence again scrambling back.

With the last play of the half, the Mount forwards did well to hold the ball up after a Rhiwbina lineout take 5 metres out, and the score of 15-5 to the visitors was an accurate reflection of the half.

The Old Firm had a good start to the second half when wing Morgan James kicked a 25 metre penalty from a first attack, which reduced the visitors’ lead to 15-8.

A half-charged down clearance kick saw the first of heavy pressure within 10 metres of the Rhiwbina line but the visitors defence held firm.

On the hour, a chip into space from halfway by scrum half Morgan Cartwright and quick following up by centre Jarrod Cushion resulted in another close-in lineout to Mount. After several drives, the ball was moved into midfield where centre Jamie Long cut back inside and got to within 5 metres of the Rhiwbina line.

Play during the second half had been almost totally confined in and around the Rhiwbina 22, but a dropped high kick near halfway saw a Rhiwbina player put away down the touchline and he passed inside to replacement Josh Trewartha for him to score an unconverted try wide out to make it 20-8 after 69 minutes.

It looked a long way back for Mount at this stage in such short a time, but the Old Firm were undeterred and went straight back on the attack, replacement flanker Liam Attwell linking with wing Callum Williams to take play into the Rhiwbina 22.

The Mount attack had not been snappy enough all afternoon, but for once, the ball was moved quickly to wing Morgan James who got away down the touchline and up to the Rhiwbina 22 where his chip over an oncoming defender saw him taken out of play with a shoulder barge which resulted in a yellow card.

The penalty was kicked to the corner. Fierce pressure on the Rhiwbina line ensued, flanker Jordan Burke almost getting over for his second try. Another penalty saw another lineout take and drive, this time the referee running under the posts and awarding a penalty try after it was taken down illegally and a second Rhiwbina player being yellow carded. There was all to play for with the score at 20-15 to the 13 man visitors and 77 minutes played.

Rhiwbina did not help themselves with the restart going straight into touch and then a penalty in their own half missing touch. From this, centre Jarrod Cushion cut through almost all of the Rhiwbina team, running fully 50 metres at pace up to the visitors’ 22 amid growing excitement.

Although the visitors cleared, prop Tom Harper did some excellent ripping work at a maul to win the ball back for Mount. With 80 minutes up, ruck ball in the Mount half was kicked when running looked to be the better option, but centre Cushion was again quickly up and Mount were awarded a penalty which was kicked to the corner.

From the 10 metre lineout, the Mount forwards, aided by centre Alex Hughes, set up a driving maul which proved unstoppable, Hughes getting the touchdown which levelled the score at 20-20. The result depended on the conversion from midway out and wing Morgan James made no mistake, striking the ball through the posts to win the game for the Old Firm in dramatic fashion.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos