St Peters RFC | 1st Team 22 - 25 Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
30 September 2018 / Team News

75 Metre Try The Highlight Of SWALEC Plate Win

The Old Firm moved into the 2nd Round of the SWALEC Plate by inflicting a first defeat on Division 2 East Central leaders St Peter’s. Both sides were positive throughout an entertaining game with play going from end to end for the 80 minutes. St Peter’s were full of running from the off and a try saving tackle by centre Kieron Davies from a midfield burst by a home backrow forward saved the Mount line. Good ripping on halfway by flanker Jordan Coxley saw the flanker come away with the ball and link with Davies and prop Geraint Lock to take play up to the Rocks’ 22, where a penalty award was converted by young outside half Morgan Cartwright to make it 3-0. The Old Firm backline was looking good with ball in hand, moving it wide and looking capable. Some nice handling by outside Cartwright and full back Morgan James put wing Rhys Davies away. Then, in the 20th minute came the try of the season which showed what this Mount team is capable of. Flanker David Richards supplied quick ball from a lineout on the Old Firm’s 22 which set off the 75 metre attack. The ball was taken into the St Peter’s half and then moved wide to wing Rhys Davies who side stepped the full back and almost made it to the line but was clawed down. The Mount forwards quickly recycled the ball, and with some impressive finger-tip passing, the ball was moved to Davies for him to run in from 5 metres out to score his third try of the season and finish off a superb attack which made it 8-0 to the Old Firm. Centre Kieron Davies, playing his first game of the season, was having an excellent game, and Mount backs Morgan Cartwright, Rhys Davies and Morgan James were also impressing. The only downside of the first half was the amount of penalties the Old Firm conceded which gave the Rocks easy possession and territory. From one such penalty, the home team got themselves close to the Mount line where a home forward burrowed over to make it 8-5 after 25 minutes. Five minutes later, a penalty at a scrum in the Mount 22 brought the scores level and although forward Jarrod Parfitt was yellow carded, that’s how it remained until half time.

Although a man down, it was the Old Firm who started the second half on the attack, taking play into the home 22. A yellow card for a home forward and a penalty to Mount saw full back Morgan James judge the wind nicely to kick the 25 metre penalty and make it 11-8. St Peter’s were reduced to 13 with another yellow card in the 50th minute and from an attack which saw the ball moved wide, wing Steve Brittain was put away but stopped just 5 metres out. Pressure at the scrum by the Mount eight saw the referee award a penalty try which took the Old Firm’s lead up to 18-8 after 55 minutes. At this stage, Mount looked well on their way and looked as if they were getting on top. But, in the 65th minute, the game changed when an interception by the home team on their own 10 metre line saw the home outside half run 55 metres to score under the posts and convert to bring St Peter’s right back into the game at just 18-15 down. The Old Firm responded by taking play midway into the St Peter’s half where hard-working No.8 Kriss Sanders picked up from a retreating scrum and fed to a supporting forward who slipped a pass to ever present flanker David Richards. He got away from the home defence and side stepped the full back to dive over for a well taken try which full back James converted with a well struck kick to take Mount’s lead up to 25-15 after 70 minutes. In a desperate attempt to quickly get back into the game, St Peter’s threw everything at Mount, attacking from all angles. Play moved into the Old Firm’s 22 where some tremendous defence by the Old Firm kept them out. After the home team had been held up at a couple of 5 metre scrums, the referee awarded the Rocks a penalty try which made it 25-22 with 5 minutes to play. Although St Peter’s monopolised the ball for the final minutes, there was no way through a tight and committed Mount defence. With the game in the final minute, a turnover on the Mount 10 metre line was kicked down the touchline and quickly followed up by a Mount player who recovered it and looked to have touched down but the referee signalled he was in touch and blew for full time to bring a well contested game to an end.

This was a good win for the Old Firm against previously unbeaten opponents who are top of Division 2 East Central. During the first half, Mount looked impressive when moving the ball and caused St Peter’s problems. One thing which must be cut down is the number of penalties given away which lets the opposition off the hook and leads to a loss of territory, more defending, and costs points. The try was one of the best for several seasons and shows what the team can do with a simple catch, pass and support game plan. It’s back to league rugby this Saturday, 6 October, for the Old Firm with the visit of Gilfach Goch to Duffryn Pennar Park. The visitors will be hungry for a win and should not be underestimated after winning 30-16 in Treorchy at the start of the season. Kick off is 2:30pm.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos