Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team 18 - 8 Rumney RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
12 November 2017 / Team News

Gritty Performance from Old Firm Secures Vital Win

The players who pulled on the famous black and amber jersey of the Old Firm showed plenty of pride and determination to grind out a vital but deserved win over Cardiff visitors, Rumney, in this “eight pointer” match to move Mount up to 7th in the Division 1 East Central table. Prior to kick off, both teams, officials and supporters stood in silence to remember those who had lost their lives during conflict.

The visitors had first use of a light wind which outside half Danny Clarke, who was Rumney’s chief tactician and playmaker, used to good effect with some well-placed touch finders and long kicks out of defence. Mount outside half Nick Bennett also had a good half, making a couple of good tackles in defence, first of all on a strong running Rumney forward, and then on one of Rumney’s centres who nearly broke through on halfway. Bennett also covered well in the opening quarter to secure a kick through from the visitors into the Mount 22. Offside in midfield after 11 minutes gave a first kickable penalty to the Old Firm, wing Will Holley converting from 40 metres with a superb strike to make it 3-0. From the restart, second row Jonathan Lewis fed wing Alex Hughes – who put in some strong runs throughout the match – for him to shrug off a couple of tackles and break through the Rumney defence. The Mount backline took the attack on, with the Rumney defence in disarray, but a forward pass on halfway, which referee Steve Nash was in a good position to see, ended a good try scoring opportunity. Rumney outside half Danny Clarke showed his kicking prowess with a superb penalty from near the touchline near halfway to make it 3-3 after 18 minutes. The heavier Rumney eight had the edge at the scrum all afternoon but doggedness by the Old Firm pack and pressure by scrum half Ross Davies kept the visitors at bay. A quick penalty take by scrum half Davies made 25 metres and took play into the visitors’ half where the ball was moved to wing Holley who chipped up to the 22. A penalty to Rumney was kicked up to the Mount 22 where determined defence stopped a driving maul just 5 metres out and then after the ball was moved wide, the Rumney wing was forced out at the corner flag. From the ensuing lineout, scrum half Davies did well to secure untidy ball which was cleared and brought the first half to an end.

The Old Firm got off to the worst possible start to the second half when a long kick up to halfway was run back cross field by Rumney’s wing who went through some non-existent tackling and passed to outside half Clarke who had the easiest of run-ins from 20 metres out for the first try of the match, which went unconverted, to put Rumney 8-3 in front. Mount responded with their first sustained attack of the game which ended with a 35 metre penalty, which Holley kicked to reduce Rumney’s lead to 8-6 after 47 minutes. A long drop out by Rumney outside half Clarke was taken by Mount full back Liam Jones, who showed a turn of speed and a swerve to cut through the oncoming Rumney players with a superb run to take play up to the Rumney 22 where the attack was taken on to just 5 metres out. Quick ball from the ruck was moved into midfield where wing Hughes made a half break and handed onto second row Jonathan Lewis who sprinted in from 15 metres to touch down and finish off a superb 70 metre attack. Although the conversion from midway out was missed, the score put the Old Firm 11-8 up after 56 minutes. Even though the Rumney scrum was still on top, the Mount team was competing for everything across the field and making life difficult for the visitors. After Rumney cleared Mount pressure on their line to midway out, the Old Firm scored another well worked try. A good lineout throw by hooker Jordan Howe and a good take and give saw the ball quickly moved into midfield where centre Kieron Davies gave a nicely weighted pass to wing Holley, who came into the line at pace, for him to slice through the Rumney midfield and run 30 metres without a hand being put on him to score a superb try, which he also converted to make it 18-8 after 70 minutes. Although the visitors rallied and took play into the Mount 22 looking for a bonus point in the final minutes, there was no way through a determined Mount defence even though the Old Firm were reduced to 14 through injury, and then 13 through a yellow card.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos